Re: slightly OT, opinions on selling game with red Amplifone

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 20:53:49 EDT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:20:28 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

> I have an upright Star Wars with a working Amplifone with a red ("isn't
>dead yet") HV transformer. I have a buyer and we've agreed on the price.
>He is more of a home owner that doesn't understand the full extent of the
>"red-is-dead".

> I've honestly tried to explain it to him, but I don't think he gets it.

        My $0.02: I pretty much agree with Chris; this is basically the same
dilemma faced by anyone who's ever tried to sell an antique car, a
100-year-old "historic" house, or any other item which has a lot of
nostalgia attached to it and where the buyer may not be fully aware of all
of the issues involved in owning something that's managed to endure so far
past its "normal" lifespan.

        IMO, "caveat emptor" -- Let the Buyer Beware -- *has* to come into play
at some point; while the seller has (or should have) a responsibility to
provide accurate information to the buyer -- which you certainly seem to
have done in this case -- the buyer *also* has a responsibility to *use*
the information they've been given in making their decision as to whether
or not they want to take on the risk of buying the game.

        Or, to put it another way, you can't save people from themselves. :)
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)