Re: OT: Motorola M5000/7000 HV Transformer

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 10:20:12 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: "Joel" <donfuego@sscs.se>
To: <vectorlist@vectorlist.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:46:11 +0200
Subject: VECTOR: OT: Motorola M5000/7000 HV Transformer

> Hey all!
> Hope you don't mind; I know this is not for a vector monitor, but since we
> got all HVT people up
> on their toes, I thought I'd just pitch this in:
>
> I've got a Sprint2 with what is clearly, a dead HV transformer since I can
> see the wire going from top of the HVT down to the PCB is broken off. Now
> the funny thing is that nothing seem to be burnt anywhere and the fuses are
> not blown. How could this be? Here's a picture: http://ricci.se/data/hvt.jpg
>
> Now, are there any chances this hvt could be repaired or are there any
> replacements that fit to this pre-historic monitor?

clean and cut-away the plastic around the wire on the transformer,
then meter it to the other windings to see if it's open/short.
if it looks o.k. then solder a new cable to the stub and clean it again with isopropanol,
then cover it with lots of thick rubber HV sealant or HV epoxy.

dont use the original cable, the insulation is to old - ask a tv repair shop for a dead Lopt from a tv that's not too old to remove the cable from.
or salvage one from an old pc monitor from the side of the road.