Re: Re[2]: VECTOR:Re: Obscure Battlezone AVG board fault

From: Phil Morris <arcaderelics_at_irongiant.org.uk>
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 16:17:03 EDT

>make sure someone didn't spill some sort of semi-conductive goo on it at
>some point that has dried up. I have fixed boards in the past by rinsing
>them under luke warm water for 10 minutes and then letting them dry in the
>sun. I live in Wyoming so moisture dissapears pretty much instantly around
>here so 'washing' them isn't really a concern. You never know what goo may
>lurk under some IC's.

Good point, there's also the issue of flux which I believe can also cause
problems in rare cases (I recall once reading about a fault that Alex
Yeckley (I think) came across which was caused by flux from a previous
repair causing some slight conductivity).

>Also, Im guessing this is on your bench supply and not in the cab? Since
>the watchdog is on the 10.3V supply and the VCC is derived from the 10.3V
>maybe a power issue relating to Big Blue if you are running in the cab. A
>stretch... but a possibility I suppose?

It's running on the bench supply so no worries there.

Thanks,
Phil