Re: Looking for EPROM's

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 16:00:27 EDT

Cameron Rector wrote:
> Thank you for the great information!
>
> With some reading and help from vectorlist members, I was able to
> reprogram 2 out of the first 6 eproms. Only two verified and passed with
> a green light. I am glad I had these two program, it makes me think I am
> doing somethink correctly.
>
> Now my next question is.................
>
> Where is the best place to get 2532's? is it acceptable to just buy a
> lot of used eproms from ebay and pick through until I find good ones
> (doesn't sound like the way to go) or do I buy new (sounds like the way
> to go).
>
> Thank you,
> Cameron

Jameco at
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=33591
  would be a good place, UNLESS THE GAME USES A 6502A PROCESSOR. A
faster than 1 MHz clock on a 6502A requires a faster EPROM.

Or, much less expensive,
  http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?products_id=70
, but still the same warning about speed.

The chips that didn't program may not have been fully erased first, did
you blank check them after erasure? Were the windows absolutely clean
before erasing? Erase for AT LEAST 30 minutes and retry.

Also make sure you read the part number correctly. A TMS2532, for
example, programs at 25 volts and the TMS2532A uses 21 volts. Make sure
you're telling promlink the exact manufacturer and part number or you
may not be programming correctly and either won't program right or will
destroy the EPROM.

For games using the 6502A you should use a 350 nS rated device.

I suppose you could try eBay, like item #120031225401, but it worries me
  when I see EPROMS stacked instead of in antistatic foam. If he
doesn't have foam at least have him wrap them in aluminum foil.