Re: Star Trek: EJECT THE CORE!

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 01:36:20 EST

At 5:09 PM -0500 2/25/07, eyeamnomad@excite.com wrote:
>My Star Trek machine repair is at the end of it's 5-year mission.
>I have explored strange, new G08 FAQ version 1.1's. I have sought
>out new transistors and capacitors. Smoke has boldly gone where no
>smoke has gone before.
>Now, it's over. I'm ready to send my machine to the Final F-ing Frontier.
>Problem is: I can't deal with the guilt of trashing the thing. The
>boards are good. The cabinet is original. It's just the monitor. I
>can't fix the damned monitor! DAMMIT JIM, I'M A DOCTOR, NOT A
>CIRCUIT BOARD REPAIR TECHNICIAN!!!
>If someone can fix it, I will pay any amount and pay all shipping.
>If anyone wants to buy the stuff that works, fine. But if someone
>doesn't do something soon, I will have to do the unthinkable.
>That's right. INTENTIONALLY set fire to it.
>
>Help me. Somebody. Please, help me.
>
>Scott G. Slaughter
>Mt. Airy, MD
>

>Join Excite! - <http://www.excite.com>http://www.excite.com

Hi Scott,

Don't beam out just yet...if you get your monitor repaired by one of
the two folks that offered to help PLEASE make sure you upgrade the
GROUND connections within the game. These are CRITICAL to the
reliability of the monitor! Quite sure this is well covered in the
GO8 FAQ, and I have notes about it on flippers.com (somewhere).

A synopsis is below:

I would seriously replace the original power supply (keep the audio
amp section) and use a modern switching power supply and then make a
good, solid, ground connection between the common of the new power
supply, the logic board, and the monitor common. Bolt the wires in
place on the monitor and make sure the chassis is common to the
ground connection of both the transformer and the logic board
connections to the monitor.

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com