Re: Re[2]: Re: more 6100 issues

From: andre <livnfree_can_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 10:53:52 EDT

> > a failure in something else?
> >
> well that cap you fitted in reverse is probably
> internally trashed, but the other should be fine.

OOouuu ya...it was bulging at the top and extremely
hot. Lucky I didn't get a face full. I have a bag of
those so its not an issue, so I replaced it. But the
second one as well I put on backwards after metering
to be sure I was on negative and had the negative on
that pad...it went boiling as well...so thrid time a
charm flipped one around after checking another board
to see what the heck was going on.. I don't have a
schematic for this...but are what they are trying to
do here is run the pair in series? It doesn't seem
like a correct circuit for that.

> > But reguardless, I went to turn on the game for a
> > second time to check something and it now does not
> > come up...guess the bright/dim might have been a
> dying
> > flyback as there is nothing anymore...no voltage
> on
> > the anode. This HV board has a led on it and it is
> lit
> > so I assume that means the board is getting power.
> >
> if you suspect the lopt then try swapping the
> deflection pcb to narrow the problem.
> personally i would start by checking the soldering
> on the high-voltage pot under the rubber boots,
> then suspect the skeletal pot in the middle of the
> hv pcb.

Well I'm trying to find a guide with some tests to
narrow it down further..I had one HV board go because
the transformer bled out the side some goo and
died..that board was rebuilt so maybe I will swap out
the transformers...odd to have 2 go as I have read
these are supposed to 'rarely' die..
I assume you mean swap HV pcb? It is already a
different deflection in it. It chatters like
crazy...just no static. I'll check those
points..Everything is so old I'm afraid to pull on
anything rubber.

What exactly makes that chatter noise?

thanks for all your ideas!