Re: Starting a ZVG project...

From: Sean McLachlan <sean_at_lithoflexo.com>
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 12:11:29 EDT

Tom Cloud wrote:
> Hi John,
> Say, if you figure out how to get the sound working on your system
> using only DOS, please let us know. I've been hung up on this one for
> awhile and have run out of ideas.
> Regards,
> Tom
I think that you can use the same sound setups as the MAME guys use.
IE, find an old soundcard with *real* SoundBlaster compatibility.
That's supposed to be the easiest route, once you source a soundcard. I
was able to get the soundcard built in to my motherboard to work, but it
was a chore. Had to use DOS 6.0, 6.22 wouldn't work, default
autoexec.bat and config.sys files settings had to be tweaked, etc., but
I know it can be done. I did MAME, not ZVG, fwiw.

arcadecontrols.com is a great resource, and I'm pretty sure anything you
can find about getting the soundcard going in DOS for MAME will apply to
your situation.

Sean McLachlan