Re: Star Wars saved !

From: MyPearl <mypearl_at_dds.nl>
Date: Tue Aug 07 2007 - 18:22:43 EDT

When the game is drawing more vector's, the screen update frequency
decreases. It takes more time to draw more vectors...

It is not like a raster scan display where the frame rate is a fixed value
independent of screen contents.

Goot to know you've got it working! I just need to see this baby in
real life someday! :)

The diode input modifications are there to clamp the input to a certain
max voltage (if I remember correctly) thereby safeguarding the deflection
PCB.
There are also diodes added in reverse over the C-E leads of the current
output transistors (the big TO-3 metal cans on the heatsink) to protect
them.
You also should replace the larger diodes in the same current amp section by
modern equivalents such as a 1N4002.

Now replace the caps on the deflection and HV board, resolder
all PCB components that are likely to stress their leads, reseat the power
transistors on the deflection board with new paste and use
new solder. Resolder the Molex connectors. Check the board edge
connectors. Some connectors were really inferor and the leafs just fall out
when you try to bend them a little closer.
Add two 1.5 A slow blow in-line fuses in the + and - supply to the HV board.
Check all grounds going from PSU, game board and Amplifone.
Replace Big Blue since SW draws a lot of current (more ripple) so you will
notice reset problems sooner than any other vector game.
CHECK the 5V supply on the game PCB's and re-adjust the power supply
(little pot on ARII board). This is particulary dependant on good game PCB
edge
connectors, since it uses both a - and a + sense line to compensate for
voltage
drop over the power wiring.

I have done all this to my game and now I can leave it on for days/ hours
without fail...

Groet,

Mendel