RE: Replacing a WG6100 picture tube?

From: Doug Hill <doug_at_grouplogic.com>
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 20:59:40 EST

Pat,
    Add me to the list of people with a K6100 with a broken tube. The actual tube is a 19VLUP22 which apparently you might be able to get from Richardson Electronics. The have the part listed as "On Order" and they'll happily take your $165. I've ordered one but we'll see if it actually turns up. Of course you then have to refit your yoke and do all the conversion again - something I have never tried and seems pretty tricky. Perhaps other folk on this list might have some conversion/purity tips. The Richardson link is:

http://catalog.rell.com/rellecom/scripts/SkuPage.asp?SKU=78710&PNO=&PNM=

One other thing, someone on this list also recommended Hawkeye Picture Tubes [http://www.hawkeyepicturetube.com/index.html] as a possible option for repairing a busted tube but the kind gentleman on the phone there said that if the vacuum has been compromised then it's probably not worth and/or not possible to save the tube. His test was to look for black spots on the front of the tube where the phosphors have been damaged. There were a few tiny pinprick sized spots on mine which was bad news apparently. [There were off-center where you'd normally find a phosphor burn by over doing the SCREEN control]. He was also going to see if he could locate a 19VLUP22 tube for me but I haven't heard from him in about a week.

Not much help I'm afraid other than to say that there's others in the same predicament....

-doug