Re: G-08 rebuild kit

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 03:05:37 EDT

Mit Matelske wrote:
> After sitting down tonight to refresh a handful of G08s, I was
> disappointed at the Bob Roberts cap kit I had bought to do the job. Then
> again, for the price I wasn't expecting the same thing he offers for the
> 6100.
>
> Is there any interest in a rebuild kit for these monitors? I would be
> willing to put together something that includes everything the old G08 FAQ
> recommends including the big caps and MJ15003 deflection transistors
> (unless someone offers a source for 2N6259's).
>
> This would be a one time kinda thing as I'm trying to sell off all my Sega
> gear and don't want to get into the monitor repair parts business.
>
> Please email me if you're interested. Since the quantities of scale will
> be very small, these probably will be pricey cap/tranny/diode kits.
>
> Mit
Biggest problem with the monitors 'blowing up' were problems with the
ground connections at the power supply Molex pin connections causing
bias issues leading to overdeflection and general nasty stuff
happening.... If those common/ground connections are beefed up then the
Sega/Electrohome monitor is quite reliable.

I've done a few upgrades of old Sega games (Star Treks etc.) where I
replaced the original power supply with a switcher, and made good, solid
(not solid wire!), ground connections between the boards and the monitor
and none have failed since - at least no owner has contacted me to fix
them since we sold them up to ten years ago.

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com