Re: G-08 rebuild kit

From: Lewis D'Aubin <ldaubin_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 12:31:43 EDT

>Biggest problem with the monitors 'blowing up' were problems with the
>ground connections at the power supply Molex pin connections causing bias
>issues leading to overdeflection and general nasty stuff happening.... If
>those common/ground connections are beefed up then the Sega/Electrohome
>monitor is quite reliable.
>
>I've done a few upgrades of old Sega games (Star Treks etc.) where I
>replaced the original power supply with a switcher, and made good, solid
>(not solid wire!), ground connections between the boards and the monitor
>and none have failed since - at least no owner has contacted me to fix
>them since we sold them up to ten years ago.

Hello,

My new Star Trek has a switch mode power supply bolted to the top of the
burned out linear power supply. I was considering restoring the game to
factory condition, but with your above comments, I'm not so sure I
should! Could you detail a procedure for bulletproofing this monitor? (I
had thought the 'fire' problem lay in the fan blowing on the deflection
transistors, fanning potential sparks into flame, but now I'm not so sure!)

Thanks,

                                                                         -Lewis