Re: Tempest Restoration Blog

From: Colin Davies <colin.w.davies_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 15:08:36 EDT

Thanks - I've repaired one already in the Starwars and a couple of B+W ones.

Main thing is to get the power supply running (Brick and ARII), test /
repair the pcb, and get it displaying on an XY scope... Then its monitor
time...

Nearly finished the brick rebuild, New big blue eqivalent, new capacitor
clamp, new 35A bridge rectifier, new fuse holders (individual ones with a
heavy duty one on F3 for the 20 amp fuse), new 15 way connector, new 3 way
connector for aux power and lots of wire... uprated a little from 1.5mm
(16awg) to 2.5mm in some places. It was missing a LOT of parts and had been
hached to death... very sorry looking thing :-) Had to move the aux power
tags underneath, to allow for drilling and nuts and bolts for the new fuse
holders.. Just need to wire up the Aux power 3 way connector (and a spare
too) and then its time for a smoke test !! - Colour XY power bricks are
pretty hard to come by nowdays in the UK, hence the re-build.

Cheers, Colin