Re: Tempest - WG6100 Purity re-adjustment when monitor is rotated 90'

From: Pat Danis <patdanis_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 17:18:40 EDT
Most 6100's need to have the degauss resistor replaced due to being tested without having the degauss coil plugged in.  I would say 99% of my deflection boards needed to have the blue resistor on the LH side midway up replaced. The degauss circuit really only works the first time you power up the chassis as there is a thermistor in the circuit that keeps it from running each time.  So, good advice.  Just try it every few days after being reinstalled in the cabinet.  if the colors are still messed up, get a degaussing coil and do it manually.

Pat D.

kstillinger@sc.rr.com wrote:
I wouldn't start messing with the yoke and color setup just yet.

If it looks good in one orientation but not another, it probably just needs degaussing.  There's an automatic degauss circuit on the board.  I would just let it do it's magic over the next few times that it gets turned on and off over and over.

  If the mask has been magnetized more than just a little, you could go through and degauss it with an external coil.  Try this before going through the color setup.

---- Colin Davies <colin.w.davies@btopenworld.com> wrote:

Hi Guys...

Here's an easy question for you tech guru's....  When the monitor is
horizontal, all the colours are really nice and well defined... ( The
monitor was in a Starwars cab)

Now I've rotated the montor, the colours are all to pot. :-(   The blue has
gone kind of pinky for a start and the green has gone orange iirc... (you
can see this on the video I posted on youtube last night !!)

So... I've read the service manual for the monitor and it mentions loosening
the yoke and sliding back and forth to get a good purity... then to adjust
the rings to get the convergence and fine purity adjust..

Surely I'm asking for trouble moving the yoke... Can I just adjust the
purity rings on the tube ?   I'm scared to touch it in case I mess it up...
:)

Anyone had to do this when swapping a vector monitor out before ?

Thanks for your advice... Regards, Colin

Ps... The game started drawing the odd vectors, and then failed completely
again !! - It had blew Ram J3... Thats a few I've replaced so far now !!