Re: omega race hig score save

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 11:28:40 EDT

If you have a scope available, you should try to capture the levels at pin
19 and at pin 18 when (or if) a pulse occurs at pin 20. That would prove
whether or not the control signals were present and behaving properly.

If you don't have a scope, and since you've likely eliminated most of the
possible logic related problems, I think that it is likely that you have a
discrete component problem.

Measure the voltage at pin 17 of 5101. It must be a logic high while the
game is on. This level provides an active-high chip select. Without it,
the chip does nothing at all. This signal is provided by all that discrete
component stuff next to the 5101 in the schematic. The zener D108, Q102 and
Q103, R143 (and several other res's).

When the game powers up, it'll read the 5101 only once and then display the
results. When you get a new high score, it'll try to save the value once
but it'll probably continue to display the correct value as long as power is
not lost. If the 5101 isn't working, you wouldn't know it at that point.

William Boucher