Re: Omega Race - picture noise?

From: Lewis D'Aubin <ldaubin_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 20:21:06 EST

Greetings vector friends,

Since there's been so much chatter on this list lately about Omega Race,
I figured I'd chime in with my own questions, as I'm working on
restoring an Omega Race cocktail right now.

http://www.consortiumofgenius.com/arcade/omegarace.jpg

This is going to be beautiful when it's finished. While I'm at it I'm
trying to get the electronics more solid too. I recapped the monitor
today and while the linearity is better (and a strange spotkiller glitch
also went away) I was dismayed that the picture still had a somewhat
'grainey' appearance compared to other B&W vector games. It's hard to
describe but it's just not as smooth lines as my Cinematronics games, or
a typical Atari Asteroids, etc. It's a kind of very subtle low level
noise visible on all lines.

Is this normal for this game?

Is this just a normal byproduct of unshielded X-Y lines going to the
monitor?

If not, what can I check?

Also, I have noticed random minor vector drawing errors every 10-20
seconds or so during gameplay. I'd like to confirm whether this too is
normal (I believe I observed similar behavior on my VectorMAME cabinet
emulating Omega Race, so I suppose it could be in the code...)

Cheers & happy turkey day!

                                                        -Lewis