Re: laser hack?

From: Zonn <mlists_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 15:58:39 EST

Graham Toal wrote:
> Thanks Rob (and sorry I took so long to reply - only just now noticed
> your post) - but I wasn't asking about the software or laser output in
> general - what I was hoping to find out was whether these specific
> cheap laser devices that I linked to were capable of being driven in
> an arbitrary X/Y mode so that they could be hooked up to an
> implementation such as Laser/Lazy-mame or anything else (in fact I
> have C source code for tailgunner which is what I was really hoping to
> run)
>
> It's possible that these device are too special-purpose to be
> hackable. They may not have arbitrary control over the direction of
> the beam, for example; or it may only be able to do points (stars) but
> not lines? I haven't seen one in person, and its a little too much to
> take a risk on just ordering one - hence hoping someone had seen them
> before...
>
> regards,

Hi Graham,

The device you pointed to looks like it just shines a laser through a
piece of plastic, that's been designed to make a star pattern, like the
laser pointers that come with lenses for arrows, etc.

The lens (or a simple mirror) could be moved slowly around the room for
the effect they describe.

The other type of laser toys that display spirograph type of patterns
use two spinning mirrors on a couple of DC motors.

There are also displays that bounce a laser of a mirror on a speaker
that changes patterns as music plays.

None of them can be used to display X/Y patterns.

-Zonn