Re: Star Wars upright - Fitting a fan to keep it cool ?

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 17:53:21 EST

Colin Davies wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> We are doing a charity show next weekend and I will be taking along my
> Starwars upright cab.
>
> Now this had been running fine without issues with the Back door
> fitted.... I clocked up about 12 Hours last night, no problem......
>
> BUT.... the last time we took it to a show, it was in the Summer and
> after a while, the machine started to reset once it got hot inside, so
> we ended up running it with the back door off.... I think the issue
> was with the game pcb, but we were unable to do much diagnostics other
> than check the voltages which seemed to be fine....
>
> I'm thinking of fitting a fan inside to move some air through the
> machine.... Might just fit a fan in the grille on top of the machine
> to suck the hot air out.... Dont really want to have to cut a hole in
> the back door to fit a blower fan..., but its simple option to take...
>
> As I say.. Its been fine running at home.... and only has to do one 12
> hour shift on the Saturday and about 8 Hours on the Sunday... So
> nothing too drastic is required at this point.
>
> Can any one throw any suggestions at this please ?
>
> I'll be taking along a spare Deflection board, Power brick and ArII,
> but do not have a spare game pcb.
>
> Thanks, Regards,
> Colin
We hook fans directly to the +12VDC and have them sucking the air over
the logic board on several older Atari games. 12VDC fans are readily
available, cheap, and do not draw much current.

Having a second fan to draw air out the cabinet is a good idea - look
for "Whisper" fans though, regular fans are irritating at low background
noise levels (inside homes).

Do check that the power connections on the logic boards are not
overheating - this would show up as slightly (!) toasted looking edge
connector on the PCB and if present I would jumper (with a plug) to the
wiring harness all the +5 and Ground lines. It will keep your board happy!

Lastly, be sure to check all the ground connections on a XY game to
avoid deflection board damage. Solid ground jumpers between the boards,
power supply and monitor chassis will improve reliability greatly...

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com