Tempest Problems

From: Kirk Spradling <kspradling_at_kc.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 09:19:30 EDT

The game started locking up after playing a short time, test screens
indicated no problems. I left the machine as it was and have now come back
to it. No vector display at all, game will enter test mode and reports ALL
Roms are bad. Pulled and tested them. Game locks up after a few minutes on
the test screen. Can cycle thru the test screens, gets sounds, reports
buttons pressed, spinner, etc. With the machine able to bring up the test
screens, it would seen the problem is in the vector area. Any tips? How do
you hook a scope up to the outputs? Simply put it in X/Y mode and hook
leads to the X and Y outputs? I suppose it will look a mess with no
blanking/color select. Tried a spare boardset and cooked R602/3 & R612 on
the deflection PCB. The monitor has no input protection. Before it went,
the spare boardset played however the vectors were huge and slanted at a 45
degree angle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kirk S.