Re: Tempest Problems

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 19:58:29 EDT

Sounds like either bad static ram (the 2016/5116/6116 2kx8's) or bad output
DAC's or bad AVG.

My sympathies regarding the monitor component burnouts. That is
frustrating. Sounds like your "Y" was bad. Hopefully it didn't hurt frame
transistor Q605.

On all models prior input protection circuitry (P314), there is always risk.
I stick to P327 deflection boards in the wg6100 monitors for exactly that
reason. If you have an older version, installing the higher power rated
resistors will help it survive such incidents. Also, installing the
back-to-back zeners as per the "Major Havoc" conversion will limit
deflection output current to a tolerable level.

Good luck.

William Boucher