Cinematronics CCPU on Xilinx FPGA

From: Chris Leyson <cleyson_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 20:31:59 EDT

Hi everyone, I'm a new member to Vectorlist and joined because I don't
have any vector games.

I found a few old scope CRTs recently and thought I'd build a CRT clock,
decided it would way too dull and
a lot more fun with a few vector games :) After a bit of searching I
discovered the Cinematronics 12-bit CPU.

Not too difficult to put onto a small fpga I thought, and I could have a
CRT clock as well. After a few brief
emails to Zonn I got started. So far the CCPU schematics have been
turned into VHDL and most of the opcodes
have been tested.

Zonn, your CCPU simulator was a life saver, without it, I would probably
still be debugging the sequencer.

Assembly code for testing has all been hand crafted so far, so it's slow
going, I still have to test all of the jump
and branch instructions. That reminds me, does anyone have a working
CCPU assembler or source code ?

Next step is turn the VHDL into something that can be synthesized and
eventually end up on some silicon :)

My thoughts on the CCPU: I like it, it's cute but quirky. A nice design
considering how much logic it uses.

Well, I must sign off now and put the spacewars roms into block ram,
then simulate until it stops somewhere :)

Best regards

Chris Leyson