RE: 'Star Trek' line lengths?

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Jul 08 2009 - 16:06:00 EDT

> Hmmm, actually this one has a switching PS hacked in place of
> the linear PS. I wonder if that's suspect? Are the positive
> and negative drive voltages derived from the +5 line or are
> they coming off the +/- 12 of the PS?

They do have individual outputs from the factory power supply... +/-5V and
+/-12V. I don't remember the factory power supply design in detail, but I'm
pretty sure it's just center tapped transformer outputs into a linear
regulation setup.

FWIW, I never had any problems running my system from a switcher. (I even
just used the WG6100 with it-- it's *almost* fast enough to keep up with the
games. Usually not more than a couple vectors displaced during game play,
typically after a 'jump' to a new location.)

-Clay