Re: Anyone tried VectorVGA?

From: James Hagen <jamesjonhagen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 21:58:10 EDT

> 1) Vectors rock!  And a raster monitor will never have the intensity of a
> vector display (try putting a piece of Tempest smoked glass in front of a
> raster monitor and you'll see what I mean).
>
> 2) There was always going to be an issue with aliasing. The Atari vector
> screens had a variable refresh rate that depended upon the number of vectors
> being drawn. The Sega games had a 40Hz refresh, and the Cinematronic games
> had a 38Hz refresh. A standard raster monitor has a typical 60Hz refresh
> rate.

What about:

3) The lack of Z-scaling ?!?!? Well that sort of ties with #1 in the
above list... but specifically lets not forget the ability of a vector
monitor to draw certain vectors brighter than others.

Aside from conveniently testing out an original board (limited to 5
Atari boards) the lack of Z scaling makes this product *USELESS*.
In the home setting I can't imagine having to settle for running
original hardware out to an LCD monitor.

James Hagen