RE: "Clay Cowgill's" pincushion corrector

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Aug 09 2009 - 20:13:01 EDT

> Actually I only needed one, I was thinking there might be a couple of
other
> Canuks that wanted some.

Sure, might as well-- I can just send you some extras and when/if you sell
any just paypal me some $$$ or whatever.

> I use the online Post Office system and print the shipping label that
includes
> the customs form on the 'ol laserjet. I am sure you can do that with US
Post as well.

I'll have to look. The guy that runs the P.O. here is bucking for the
Inspector General job for the state, so he's just a caricature of the worst
kind of bureaucrat. Honest to God I've had him recite paragraphs of the
postal code to me for various rules and infractions and whatnot. (I learned
that any Postal Money Order I need to send to Taiwan I need to say is for
"Japan" or else it's a 20 minute lecture about how they don't have a
'Taiwan' money order and it would have to be China they don't have a country
code for China and and and... ;-)

> How thin are the slots on your mailboxes? Like a household slot (about two
inches)
> or thinner? No wonder so many folks in the US don't like using the US
Postal service
> if you can't easily mail things off!

These are *maybe* a 1/4" tall opening and just a hair over the width of a
letter. Then they have a little formed louver that you have to physically
bend the letter as it goes through the slot. The whole idea is that you
can't fish any outgoing mail out of it after it's in. Of course the
meth-heads that seem to spend most of the time doing that would just break
the fool thing open with a screwdriver since it's only made out of plastic!
The solution is worse than the problem. ;-)

My favorite feature though is that the mailboxes load from the back and open
from the front-- but since each box has its own door and hinges and latch on
it for each address, the front opening is *smaller* than the back opening.
So they can stick a big Mouser catalog in there from the back and it's
physically impossible to remove it from the front when you open the mailbox.
(palm -> face) We really need some competition for the mail-delivery
monopoly here. :-)

-Clay