RE: Preventative maintenance time!

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Sep 05 2009 - 15:19:33 EDT

> Clay, great tip... however- warning!! For those looking to
> do this you will want to avoid some of todays CPU heat sink
> grease such as Artic Silver. It's semi conductive!

Hah! Good point! I do believe that was one of the offerings at RadioShack.
(I think it was like $10 for a tiny little tube, so I suspect most people
would probably skip it.) That'd be a good tip to put in a revision of the
WG6100 FAQ (and/or Pat's project).

Another pointer-- I been using these for heatsink compound-- really handy
being in the little applicators:

But if you're going to do a bunch of transistors, this is hard to beat:

They also have the 'grey' colored paste that's supposedly "better", but I've
not tried it:

(I see that Zalman has their "Super Thermal Grease" which is grey-- not sure
if that's the same stuff or not.)

Now *this* one looks like it could have copper powder in it:

If you're going to do a BUNCH of 'em , MCM has a good deal on 4oz (~113g):

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TECHSPRAY-1977-DP-/20-1975

Seems like whenever we get big tubes for Ground Kontrol though they end up
breaking open, or drying out before we get to use it all...

-Clay

P.S. It's totally messed up that you can buy a 30g syringe of heat sink
grease, price including shipping from *HONG KONG*, cheaper than you can buy
a 6g tube at the local RadioShack. Crazy.