RE: Amplifone yoke

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 18:28:27 EDT

> While we're at it: I've had this idea of making a Star Wars
> novram replacement from an AVR with sufficient eeprom .
>
> Care to shoot that one down ? :-)

No, that should work fine. I've thought through that myself-- basically
just keep everything in the SRAM and then dribble it out to the EEPROM at
your leisure (gets the AVR's write to the EEPROM off the critical path). A
while back I decided that I could hang an AVR off the Atari 2600's address
bus and have it emulate the RAM on the later Atari carts. With the Xmega's
you could probably come close to emulating the ROM portion even. ;-)

I think that you can just use like a Simtek part (or Cypress or whoever
bought them) though too-- you don't actually care about the store/recall
stuff from the 2212 if the memory array itself is non-volatile. I looked at
the Star Wars code and I think it just fired off a store/recall and did a
little delay. Could be safely ignored, AFAIK.

I've just stuck a 14C88 on the new SE/ESB/etc. board. (Admittedly only
because I had a leftover reel of them from another project and there's tons
of space for bank-switching. ;-)

-Clay