Re: Just a little show and tell

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 22:25:03 EDT

Please tell us more about this Rocket Racer game. Is the board attached to
the CCPU board a original factory board? All that klov says is "1983
Rock-ola conversion" so I assume that it was provided as a kit to retrofit
any CCPU based game. What are all the ribbons and the big pod, an eprom
emu? a Fluke 9010a? (I've never seen one). What does the add-on board do?
I thought that a CCPU would not lend itself well to support an add-on system
that complicated. I wondered if the add-on board was a fat vector generator
that off-loaded that task from the CCPU so that the CCPU could concentrate
on the game itself. Am I close at all?

I started this message is response to the question "has anyone made any
progress on their Cinematronics stuff?" so I thought I'd add this link:
 http://www.biltronix.com/CCPU_Custom_Chip_Replacements.html
I have tested this small devices on my own CCPU boards and so far so good.
The new PCBs are ordered so I'll have some built up by the dates shown on
the page. Before anyone says "but you can still buy original bproms", I
know that of course. I'm just sick of bprom issues and wanted somethng that
I could purchase anywhere cheaply and program at home with my existing
equipment. Also, it was a personal thing that I just wanted to do as
another excuse to work with SPLD and CPLD stuff. It's quite addictive.

William Boucher