PROM replacements, etc. (was re:Just a little show and tell)

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 23:18:28 EDT

> I started this message is response to the question "has
> anyone made any progress on their Cinematronics stuff?" so I
> thought I'd add this link:
> http://www.biltronix.com/CCPU_Custom_Chip_Replacements.html
> I have tested this small devices on my own CCPU boards and so
> far so good.

Cool, Bill-- and handy. ;-)

I don't know if I posted this here or not (I know I mentioned it somewhere
or other) a while back, but I did this thing for SW/ESB:

http://www.embeddedengineeringllc.com/swesb/SW_deprom.jpg

Gets rid of all four of the mathbox PROMs on SW/ESB boards (and usually two
or three *WATTS* of heat generation from the bipolars to boot!).

It is a decidedly un-clever solution. It's just two ~45ns, 5V, OTP EPROMs
with the mathbox code repeated a bazillion times. ;-)

The one running in our machine at Ground Kontrol has passed 7500 hours now--
no failures, glitches, or other weirdness. (Anthony commented to me that we
actually hit a one year anniversary on keeping Star Wars running without
interruption. ;-)

-Clay