Re: Cinematronics BPROM alternatives

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 10:45:51 EDT

Yes, I had tried the 22V10 but it would only hold a fraction of the table,
maybe 1/4, if that. I got the impression that the architecture just doesn't
lend itself well unlike the much more flexible xc9536 that holds the whole
thing in just 14%. No parts supported by Atmel WinCUPL will fit. I tried
ATF750 and ATF 2500 as well. They held more, but not near all.

I don't have ABEL experience so I can't comment on similarity to CUPL but
I'm pretty sure that Atmel has a downloadable converter and a pdf tutorial
on ABEL to CUPL conversion.

I saw your post with the SW_deprom and thought that was very nicely done. I
considered the same approach to the CCPU board because there are 4 chips in
a row in one area. However, J14 and E8 are pretty far away so I decided to
make each chip separately. Separate replacements would allow folks to get
just the one that they need, allow for the scattered arrangement, and it
would allow them to be used to replace other bproms on other games.

William Boucher