Is it Safe ?

From: Colin Davies <colin.w.davies_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Fri Oct 30 2009 - 23:00:54 EDT

Silly question.... Is it Safe ? (No Marathon Man Jokes please, lol)

I bought a 25" ? Amplifone monitor for my SW Cockpit, and it needs some TLC on the electronics....

It's got quite a nasty burn in the middle (about 2 to 3 - 8th's of an inch across) - Was told this is quite usual/normal on one of these tubes, So was aware before buying....

Now what has really supprised me, is that in the middle of the burn spot, it looks like the glass itself has 'bubbled' inside (very strange)....(or the inside coating has bubbled).

Is it safe to operate (once I've fixed the electronics) ? - Worried about X-Rays and stuff....???

I have a spare tube/yoke/rings etc... to make a new monitor... but would like to keep for spares for the time being....(and this 'used' monitor tube is already converged/tested working)

Cheers, Colin