Re: Asteroids Troubleshooting.

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 02:53:50 EST

Kevin,

Sounds like you're going to be the new resident expert on that board. Keep
up the good work!

You _should_ be correct regarding the problem being in the MPU side of the
equation. You might consider:

1) When you cut A9/P.10, it's going to float, unless something is pulling it
up. Check L10/P.2 to make sure it's high (with A9/P.10 cut). If not, pull it
up with a 10K resistor to Vcc. Then make sure the pin is high. If it's low
(or floating and just appearing low), the MPU will still wait on the VSM.

2) What does #HALT do when you're running your "+" routine?

It should be low until you hit the VGGO address ($3000). Then it should go
high. You should be able to prove the MPU has visibility into the VSM state
by reading the "HALT" address (see the memory map). Assuming #HALT is low,
you should read a value >$7F at address "HALT". Once you tickle VGGO and see
your + sign, you should read a value <$80 at address "HALT". I believe the
"HALT" address is $2002 (check the mem map). As a test, you can also read
the "3KHz" address, which is 1 less at $2001. You should see it "randomly"
change from the values I listed above. Remember, this assumes you haven't
cut anything...

Good luck,
-Mark

P.S. FWIW it'll be a lot easier to fix the MPU side, than the VSM side.