Re: Sega Space Ship pinout (Space Wars Clone)

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 20:51:54 EST

Fabrice,

Thanks for the info (pinout).

Just wondering, where does the "reset" signal (pin 21) terminate on the
board (i.e. chip & pin)?

To answer your questions:

The "EXTERNAL_HIGH" input is part of the JMI (Jump on MInus) option. On the
Cine CCPU, a jumper can be added to allow a jump instruction to be
conditional on the minus flag (sign bit (#11) of the active accumulator).
Most games use this mode. Do you have a physical jumper attached to this
net, somewhere on your board?

In one game (Tail Gunner), they used the CCPU's external input to implement
a Successive Approximation ADC. The ADC was divided across the CCPU, the
sound board and even the monitor. The monitor's X axis DAC was used (in its
spare time) to produce a voltage under control of the CCPU, which was fed to
a comparator on the sound board, which compared the voltage from the DAC
with the voltage from one axis on a joystick. The result was fed back to the
CCPU. Then by successively (hence the name) varying the DAC's output, they
could determine the position of the joystick.

O7 is what today would be called a GPIO and was fed to the sound board to
control whatever effect the game designer wanted. In Space Wars it's not
used.

I'm not sure anyone can tell you if 400ns RAM chips will work in a CCPU. The
majority of devices used were 200ns. I have seen a limited number of 300ns
chips, but never any 400ns chips. So, you'll have to let us know!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
-Mark