Re: RE: Starwars and Amplifone Issue

From: pj pj <pj1_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 18:17:54 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "andre.huijts@upcmail.nl" <andre.huijts@upcmail.nl>
Date: Monday, March 22, 2010 4:03 am
Subject: RE: VECTOR: Starwars and Amplifone Issue
To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org

> "Super bright objects like a shield level change, the closest
> green attract
> mode
> text or fireballs are so bright that the vectors grow out of focus"
>
> Isn't that the way it's supposed to be (except for the attract
> mode). I
> think I
> read that on Jed Margolin's site that this was done on purpose (like
> defocussing
> the concentric rings on the Death Star explosion).
>
> The fireballs on my 25" Amplifone get out of focus when nearing too.

I read that as well, but after looking at youtube videos of a number of games shot off screen, mine is seriously much brighter to the point where if I don't cut the screen control down, its to the point where it's near blinding and unable to provide diming as the shot diminishes. On one of your videos, the shield loss makes the vectors drawing the gage brighter, on mine it lights up to the point where the vectors are so bright they distort as the video amps are going into clip and not just pusing the beam current to defocus. I could live with it if it were like yours. I'm going to look into whether cutting the B+ or changing the biasing of the video amps to match the values from the WG will make a difference. I tested the CRT before I bought the game, since having a med res tube on the amplifone was a deal breaker for me.

On the last game John Robertson had, he was running a WG, and the fireballs looked "normal", even by WG standards. Other Amps I've seen are not like this one -they put the WG to shame (ducking from WG owners throwing things at me). My WG in an early production Tempest is much sharper at this point.