Re: Asteroids graphics and sound issue

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 01:36:53 EDT

andre wrote:
> Thanks.. the 4016 at M9 was the sound culprit.. after replacing that I lost the thump sound.. So replaced the 555 at N8 and got that back.
>
> So far in the scale section I have replaced E7, M7, F6 and comparator'd B7,C7,D7,A9,M6,A9 and all come out ok... The more I look at it it might not just be scale.. everything is very tiny, but I notice especially when something explodes, the explosion is along a horizontal plane.. it has a brighter dot at each end with smaller dots inbetween with the line about a 1/4 inch long. Also, it does not take one of the micro asteroids to hit the dot that is the players ship exactly for a collision.. if its about a 1/4 inch away on the screen for the ship it will be a collision.. if it was 'just' scale I would think the dots would need to physically meet.

If you have a logic probe or 'scope, check the inputs to the DACs to
make sure all data lines are toggling. If the most significant bits are
not then backtrack from there. If all bits are toggling then check your
+/- 15VDCsupply...

Heck check ALL the voltages first and save some time! I think you may
have a missing supply on the logic board...

John :-#)#

PS, please don't top post - post under the reply - and also do not clip
off previous portions of messages (you can trim small bits if it helps
clarity) as it gets harder and harder to track the progress of the
troubleshooting process if we have to open older messages to see what
the original complaint was! Thanx.

                 www.flippers.com