Re: RE: Starwars and Amplifone Issue

From: pj pj <pj1_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Thu Mar 25 2010 - 14:19:04 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: David Fish <dfish_1@comcast.net>
Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:36 am
Subject: RE: VECTOR: Starwars and Amplifone Issue
To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org

> Just for fun, try unplugging the degaussing coil.
>

> Dave

Did that last night by removing the three toed posistor ...no joy.

I did solve the video brightness problem however. I re-jigged the video amps with the resistor values from the WG's circuit, and alas, the brightness is all good. Fireballs, the green scaled text, and the sheild level changes still can slightly defocus the beam, but they don't grow so overly bright as to preclude any ability to clip the transistors into full saturation.

Now if I could only solve the deflection issue: Here's more information after throwing a couple of hours at the thing.

I left it going for about 45 minutes while I probed with a scope. After some time warming up, I noticed that the issue isn't as obvious as when its cold. I also noticed that the higher the levels are setup off the AVG, the more square the characters become. On that, I ran the self test when I was setting up the cutoffs and drives after "WG"izing the video amps, and on the Linear/binary and linear scaling test, the edges of the shrinking square become slightly jagged at about 3/4" to the tune of about say 1/32", and progressively more jagged when the square is less than 3/16" to the tune of about 1/8". When it becomes nearly a dot, the jagged edges are larger than the dot itself.

Since I likely have a high frequency response issue in the deflection system, it could be I'm chasing something that isn't in the AVG. I also noticed that there is a lot of old heatsink compound between the heatsink and the deflection pcb substrate. Could this have become conductive?