Re: Cinematronics Tailgunner Start Light

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 00:55:22 EDT

Matthew Rossiter wrote:
> I was working on a Tailgunner sound board and noticed there was a
> circuit there for a blinking START light.
> http://games.rossiters.com/manuals/Tailgunner-Sound.jpg
>
> I flipped over a few pages and noticed there's a simple transistor
> inverter circuit for the START led.
> http://games.rossiters.com/manuals/Tailgunner-Controls.jpg
>
> The control panel has a hole drilled underneath for the LED and the
> PCB has empty holes for the resistors and the transistors. So I put
> the parts in and voila - I have a start light that blinks when a coin
> is inserted.
>
> Question #1: Is this a design that was never actually implemented?
> Does anyone else have a Tailgunner with the start light circuit
> installed?
>
> Question#2: I don't think the inverter circuit is working properly
> because the LED stays on solid and then blinks when a coin is
> inserted. I would expect the led to be *off* when no coin is inserted
> - then blink when coin is inserted. Is that right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

I used to keep two Tailgunners cockpits running at an arcade here in
Vancouver - out at the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) Playland. I do
not recall any sort of blinking start light. I also restored a third
cockpit in the mid aughts, and again, I do not recall ever seeing a
light indicating credits.

Perhaps it was only implemented on the Rock-Ola u/r versions - I have
not had any of those come through...

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com