Re: dambusters PCB from South West Research UK

From: Andrew Welburn <andy_at_andysarcade.net>
Date: Wed May 12 2010 - 15:19:59 EDT

SWR was a software company in the UK, they made several arcade games
that they sold to manufacturers rather than actually making the
cabinets themselves.

In the early 80's, the 2layer galaxian PCBs were produced in Greece
and The Ilse of Wight! They were sold as blank pcbs, that is, they
were supplied without any roms, you put whatever game on there that
you could get the code for. This is why most of the galaxian hacks you
see around were engineered in the UK and some in Europe.

SWR obviously made several games targetted at this hardware,
Dambusters being one.

SWR actually missed their launch at ATEI in London, but they still had
RAF officers there with all the exhibition stand artwork and banners,
but no playable game! As such they missed crucial sales and potential
licensors and the game was a relative failure considering how much dev
time went into making it (nearly 18 months). They did license it to
Zaccaria, and I believe it was sold in the US by Venture Line.

I'd like to get a real pcb, it's eluded me so far...

Sorry for the vectorlist post :)

Andrew Welburn (mobile)
www.andys-arcade.com