Minimalist Battlezone bench testing

From: Darren Finck <dgfinck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2010 - 14:58:27 EDT

I'm hooking up my Battlezone boardset without its cabinet (and wiring harness) for testing. I can use my CRO for display. I'm trying to determine the minimum I need to hook up for it to work. Below is what I've determine either from the schematics or from reading the vectorlist archives. PLEASE correct me when (not if) I'm wrong!

It looks to me like I only need +5V, +22V & -22V supplies. The -5V and +12V look to exist only for some unpopulated components.

It appears that I'll need to hook the +5V to both the main and aux boards, as the interconnect doesn't pass power to the aux board (only address & data lines along with clock signals).

I understand that it should run test mode (crosshatch pattern) without the aux board connected. Only I'm not sure which mode (test or game) I should expect without any inputs connected...

The details of my planned test set-up are: 4 lines from the power brick (J5) to the ARII; +10.6VDC & GND (J6), and the 36VAC pair (J9). 4 lines from the ARII to the BZ board; +22VDC, -22VDC & GND (J10) and +5VDC (J7). There is a seperate ground in J7 (pin 1)... any reason to keep it seperate from the J10 (pin 5) ground? I plan on just alligator clipping these to their respective test points (as I don't have a spare edge connector to use). Then I'll jump the +5V and GND over to the AUX board. Finally, I'll hook the XOUT and YOUT test points to the scope.

Does this set-up sound sufficient? Anything missed, or Just Plain Wrong?

Thanks,
Darren