Re: Minimalist Battlezone bench testing

From: Darren Finck <dgfinck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jun 05 2010 - 01:09:35 EDT

That set-up worked fine. For the record, it comes up in game mode. In fact, can't get test mode to work (by grounding pin 13 on the edge connector). Adding a coin causes a reset, as does the slam line. I'm going to have a closer look at the octal buffer between those inputs and the data lines. If anyone has solved this type of problem before let me know; I'm still working through the 1500+ Battlezone posts in the vectorlist archive... Darren --- On Wed, 6/2/10, Darren Finck <dgfinck@yahoo.com> wrote: > From: Darren Finck <dgfinck@yahoo.com> > Subject: VECTOR: Minimalist Battlezone bench testing > To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org > Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010, 2:58 PM > I'm hooking up my Battlezone boardset > without its cabinet (and wiring harness) for testing.  > I can use my CRO for display.  I'm trying to determine > the minimum I need to hook up for it to work.  Below is > what I've determine either from the schematics or from > reading the vectorlist archives.  PLEASE correct me > when (not if) I'm wrong! > > It looks to me like I only need +5V, +22V & -22V > supplies.  The -5V and +12V look to exist only for some > unpopulated components. > > It appears that I'll need to hook the +5V to both the main > and aux boards, as the interconnect doesn't pass power to > the aux board (only address & data lines along with > clock signals). > > I understand that it should run test mode (crosshatch > pattern) without the aux board connected.  Only I'm not > sure which mode (test or game) I should expect without any > inputs connected... > > The details of my planned test set-up are:  4 lines > from the power brick (J5) to the ARII; +10.6VDC & GND > (J6), and the 36VAC pair (J9).  4 lines from the ARII > to the BZ board; +22VDC, -22VDC & GND (J10) and +5VDC > (J7).  There is a seperate ground in J7 (pin 1)... any > reason to keep it seperate from the J10 (pin 5) > ground?  I plan on just alligator clipping these to > their respective test points (as I don't have a spare edge > connector to use).  Then I'll jump the +5V and GND over > to the AUX board.  Finally, I'll hook the XOUT and YOUT > test points to the scope. > > Does this set-up sound sufficient?  Anything missed, > or Just Plain Wrong? > > Thanks, > Darren