Re: Anyone have a neckboard or a connector for a 19VLUP22?

From: Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jul 18 2010 - 08:47:14 EDT

--- On Sun, 7/18/10, Andrew Welburn <andy@andysarcade.net> wrote:

> I know it might sound like a real
> insult,  but i have to ask as i had someone reporting
> similar problems who was convinced it was a tube problem...
> Have you cleaned the face of the CRT and both sides of the
> montor bezel/glass through which you are viewing it?
>
> A suitably dirty/dusty screen will make everything bright
> apear fuzzy and defocussed...

Hehe. Yeah, I cleaned it. This game was really filthy. But yes, I did clean the tube and both sides of the glass. And it's still fuzzy when looking at the tube directly, no tinted glass.

I'm positive it's the tube. I've worked with monitors and televisions long enough to know a worn tube when I see one. The "fuzzy vector" problem is most pronounced on the green. Blue is weaker than green, and even with the cutoff and drive controls adjusted for best picture (using the test screen with the intensity test), the "dim blue" is almost invisible. If I crank stuff up any further I start to get a dot in the center of that color, then retrace lines.

-Ian