Re: WG 6100 Brightness / Focus Issues (was: Anyone have a neckboard or a connector for a 19VLUP22?)

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 20 2010 - 02:23:48 EDT

(I've forked this thread, since we're no longer talking about finding a tube
socket)

Werner,

I can tell you that is a typical amount of change in voltage over the
monitor warm-up period.

I can't tell you what the exact impact of the lower voltage would be on CRT
behavior (and why).

Where's Rodger when you need him?!?!

One other data point; during the development of the WG 6100 flyback
replacement, I did observe a symptom similar to what you're describing on
certain prototypes. This was with a known good tube, so that tells us it's
_possible_ to electrically cause this problem.

However, that does not mean your tube is good. Do you have a working 6100
you can slip the HV cage into, _before_ you change any adjustments?

For the record and everyone's amusement, another odd symptom I observed on a
certain FBT prototype, was where a picture (unfocused) appeared immediately
upon power up (heater cold). Then, as the heater warmed up, the picture
would actually dim (or go out), then as the heater started boiling, the
picture would re-appear (in-focus) and get brighter and brighter until it
stabilized. I cannot explain this behavior, but it's right up Rodger's
alley, so I'll PM him to respond on-list.

Thanks,
-Mark