Re: bad bottlecap transistors causing squiggly vectors?

From: Pat Danis <patdanis_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 14:54:01 EDT
Perhaps I should have been more specific.  I don't blindly replace transistors.  If the originals are good, I keep them.  (Too expensive)  If I find a bad one, I do replace them in pairs to make sure the tolerances are the same.  I don't profess to be an expert in electronics but think that you would like to have evenly matched parts.  I'm sure one vendors tolerances are different from another's.  In the description of the wavy lines I referred to, it is hard to determine where the problem lies.  The specific case I am referring to is for a Space Duel monitor I rebuilt.  The cabinet was a project I purchased as non working.  Rebuilt brick, (bad rectifier, fuse block bad and hacked wiring), AR board toasted, and monitor non-working.  After rebuilding the AR and brick and fixing the monitor, I could not be sure the if the problem was due to the monitor or the main board or something else.  I tried another monitor with a jumper harness and the "waves" were much less obvious but still there.  I don't recall the origin of those transistors on the better monitor.  I have also found that the replacement transistors seem to be less tolerant of   Perhaps it could have even been classified as jitters.  I didn't have time to troubleshoot further as I was on a time schedule and had to have it delivered in working in a matter of days.  I was lucky to get it done as it was due to the hacks on the monitor.

I only offered to test a theory I had as a means of contributing to the group.  I will still attempt to document my findings and then submit them here for further abuse/discussion.  I would also like to point out that I do remove and reinstall the original bottle caps if they are still good but 30+ years of heat, smoke, dirt and dust do take their toll on the heat sink compound and I am doing what I can to keep them running for another 30.  Who knows, maybe I'm doing something wrong and I'll find it out.  As far as buying in matched pairs, I don't know if the vendor I purchase from has "matched" sets.  I only purchase bulk quantities and hope that the tolerances are close enough as they came from the same batch.  You're right, I don't have a curve tracer.  Wouldn't know how to use one if I had one.

I still have access to that game and may go by and grab the monitor and test it with a different game.

I also recently found a monitor out of a bulk buy with transistor numbers I wasn't familiar with.  I will dig it out and see what they cross to.  I would be interested in seeing what somebody else was using to get a monitor working.  For all I know, they are direct crosses.  Just wasn't familiar with the part numbers.

Do you have  a source for matched transistors at a "reasonable" price?

Pat

Kevin Moore wrote:
I think Generally speaking it's also a good idea to used matched pairs on your push pulls too. But since buying MP's are not always convenient, and not everyone has a curve tracer to try and match them.  I'd have to agree with Mark though. I doubt that would be your problem. They would/could cause other issues. For example, Walling on Tempest.

Kevin