Re: Got the V2000 HV blues...

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon Aug 02 2010 - 18:39:40 EDT

Total Impulse wrote:
> After two months, I'm still fighting with this 15V2000. I've gone
> through it and can't figure out the root cause of its issue.
>
> It was up and running yesterday for at least 5 hours, sitting on the
> floor next to the game. Today, I reinstalled it in the game, and it
> kept working fine. Then, I installed the back door on the cabinet,
> and 30-45 minutes later, the monitor was dark. F102 was blown again.
>
> Conjecture - with the door on, the temperature inside the cabinet
> rises, and something on the HV board becomes unhappy. Any ideas?
> (other than installing a cooling fan?)
>
> I've replaced all the semiconductors with the exception of Q900 &
> Q903. I swapped in a different HVT. I replaced R905 HV adjust pot.
> I've replaced all the caps with the exception of Q903, 908, 909, 910.
> That leaves those few exceptions and the resistors. I've checked all
> the resistors, but could one be heating up and only then going open or
> shorted?
>
> I suppose that I can start replacing resistors... #sigh#
> Does R900 (21 ohm, 15 watt wire wound) need to be non-inductive?
>
> ARGH!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

If your monitor uses the (801 - Electrohome) HV doubler they do tend to
fail...or if not, the HV diode can become defective and start
overheating - drawing too much current leading to fuse failure. If you
have a remote temperature probe monitor the HV parts to see if any
start to heat up, or if the rubber end caps on the HV diode are
black/melted then the diode may be bad (or just old rubber from previous
bad diode).

You can replace the doubler through:
http://www.arcadesolution.com/801cage.html

Note that the 2CL2FM diodes are rated at 20KV and can replace the
regular HV diodes as well...

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com