Re: 19" bad vectors...

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_vex.net>
Date: Tue Sep 07 2010 - 00:05:11 EDT

> any one know if the hv cage stop the ----------------------s-------- on
> the lines or am I looking at power supply problem?

If you've got little wiggles along your vectors, you *might* have a
problem on your HV board. A Tempest machine that sees 8 hours a day
developed this symptom. The deflection board was known good, and was
eliminated as the source of the problem by swapping in another deflection
board. Replacing the electrolytic caps in the HV supply made the problem
go away, and C901 and C902, when removed fromin the HV supply, were both
bad.

On a whim, I pulled the HV units from another two units that *didn't*
exhibit these symptoms. One of thse HV units had already had C901/902
replaced, and the replacements were also bad. All three units now run
100uF, 100V caps, rated at 105C. The originals were 100uF, 35V, 85C,
and the typical replacement is 100uF, 50V, 85C. We'll see how long
the new ones last, but I'm hoping not to have to worry about it for
a while. Every cap in the HV supply got replaced with a new cap, and
if I could find one rated at 105C, I used it.

(And yes, for those who remember me, I now have a new email address.)

Later,
Doug.