RE: Chip questions

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 20:12:15 EDT

> The part numbers in question are:
>
> ADC0800

8-bit ADC. I can't think of any vector games that used it. Atari usually
used ADC0804's or similar (the four-channel version since they needed to
read more than one analog input for joystick/yoke type applications).

> AD7533

10-bit DAC. I can't think of any vector stuff it was used on either. It's
kinda like the AD561 used in Asteroids/Sega G80 stuff, but not pin/function
compatible

> AD7524

8-bit DAC. You see them on sound boards occasionally. (Mortal Kombat 1-era
sound boards for example.) Pretty common.

> DAC208 (I think) might be DAC808

DAC-808 would be another 8-bit DAC. Can't think of what used it though
(it's the same as an MC1480). If it's a DAC-08, that's a pretty common one.
(Nintendo used 'em for sound output-- Atari used one to make a successive
approxmiation ADC for the thrust control input on Lunar Lander. That's an
MC1408/DAC-08.)

-Clay