Re: Announcing the Vector World's First Fully Functional CCPU on an FPGA

From: Ed Henciak <ehenciak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Oct 26 2010 - 16:25:22 EDT

Tom, Mark works at the speed of light compared to me when it comes to the CCPU ;-). I cannot wait to see this thing in real life :-)! I'd love to fire it into a mini, multipurpose vector cabinet I have :-). Ed ________________________________ From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_bhpllc.com> To: vectorlist_at_vectorlist.org Sent: Tue, October 26, 2010 4:23:04 PM Subject: Re: VECTOR: Announcing the Vector World's First Fully Functional CCPU on an FPGA I see a 2001 copyright on the soldermask here: http://ionpool.net/arcade/auctions/062902/cmg_big.jpg That's some beta cycle! No wonder you have been busy ;) On 10/26/2010 2:59 PM, Mark Shostak wrote: > This was posted on the Cinelabs web site, and I wanted to share it with > the list... > -Mark > > --- > > Cinelabs is pleased to announce the first fully working CCPU implemented > on a single chip FPGA. We have designed the new IRM in a custom IP Core. > The design includes all of the original CCPU functionality, plus many > enhancements. > > Cinelabs has been repairing CCPU boards for people the world over, for > more than 10 years and has observed mounting issues with keeping > original CCPU boards in working order. Their components are now over 30 > years old and are failing much more frequently than even just 10 years > ago. Compounding this is the increasing rarity and rising cost of, > certain components such as bipolar PROMS and obscure static RAM. > > With Cinelabs’ advancement, collectors will no longer have to worry > about trying to keep their old boards running, as there will be a > reliable replacement available, based on modern, obtainable components. > > When incorporated into our new CCPU replacement board, the following > features will be available: > > * Drop-in Replacement for All Cinematronics and Vectorbeam CPU Boards > * Cycle for Cycle Accurate (Not an emulation) > * New Conventional Analog XY Monitor Interface (with daughter board) > * Expanded RAM for QB-3 > * Integrated Color Board Support > * Single EPROM Operation > * "Naked CCPU" (all registers displayed on LEDs) > * Jumper Selectable Core Configuration (JMI, Instruction PROM Revision, > etc.) > * Driver ICs in DIP Packages for Easy Repair > > Additionally, there are many more features that will be incorporated > into later revisions, such as Multi-Game support, High-Score Save, a > Dynamically Re-Mappable Control Panel and Dual Z-80 Co-Processor > configurations for games such as Rocket Racer and Demon. Also Game > Networking, 10 MHz “Turbo” Operation, Early Frame Timeout Detection, > Multi-Sound support, Monitor Input Protection, a full Hardware Test > Channel, and more. > > The system (a.k.a. IRM) is presently running on a hand-made prototype > (see picture), and a formal PCB is currently being made. > > [IMAGE DELETED FOR VECTORLIST POSTING; click here to view > <http://www.cinelabs.com/IRM/proto1.jpeg>] > > For more information and status updates, visit us at > http://www.cinelabs.com/IRM > > Cinelabs is dedicated to vector graphics style, coin-operated video > arcade machines. We are primarily focused on the line of arcade machines > based on a design by Larry Rosenthal, and later manufactured by > Cinematronics, Inc. Although we have no affiliation with either Larry > Rosenthal or Cinematronics, Cinelabs is committed to preserving their > work, enhancing it as time permits, and assisting collectors in > repairing and preserving their own collection of Cinematronics and > Vectorbeam machines. > > Thank You, > Mark Shostak > --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ** Unsubscribe, subscribe, or view the archives at http://www.vectorlist.org ** Please direct other questions, comments, or problems to chris_at_westnet.com