Re: Asteroids Deluxe graphic problem

From: Kevin Moore <talon.k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 10:22:14 EDT

Ok for anyone interested here's the repair log for the Asteroids Deluxe.

I think I got everything included here.

Asteroids Deluxe repair log

Upon power up got nothing.

Hooked up Fluke and checked Rom/Ram

Could read the Vector Side ok, but nothing from Program side.

Found Dead ls139 @ L2

Could now read program side, but not vector.

Seems Some of the pins on L2 were stuck so I could read the Vector side but
upon replacement
they were no longer stuck.

Found Bad ls157's at F2, H2, J2, and K2 replaced and can no read Vector, and
Program sides ok

However there were bad eproms @ D1, E/F1, F/H1, and R2 Burned new ones.

Power up and get watchdog.

Remove pin 1 from LS42 at L5 game now plays blind, but with some strange
explosion sounds
and no thrust sound, just a faint pop.

Start troubleshooting VSM

Ground watchdog Disable, and game plays blind as well.

Pull and check custom prom @ C8 checks good.

Find bad Ls193 @ J4, and K4

Now greated with a horrible picture.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tX2PtYo8mbqyeGJnbnmb3LU4nHRf6SnmoWh4viFd1vI?feat=directlink

Replaced a bad ls157 at bc/10 I now have this.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Jf76pGvmPLKkYUy9cYkU6LU4nHRf6SnmoWh4viFd1vI?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hDDl6Um13oNfPRaLoCihLLU4nHRf6SnmoWh4viFd1vI?feat=directlink

Replace both am6012 chips, and we are getting closer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KGi71hzc0t_uCpT01lPrn7U4nHRf6SnmoWh4viFd1vI?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X7B7TU2mwlvC82BK1F-T3rU4nHRf6SnmoWh4viFd1vI?feat=directlink

Found K9 pin 3 stuck that cleared up the diag lines

Scaling is wrong for ships, and it appears there are no medium asteroids.
Found bad ls175 @ M6

Having problems with Highscore table. When going into game mode, it would
display BFBFBF
while trying to load the top 3 scores. Found bad ls174 @ N10 but then the
table would
now try to load FFFFFF also found bad ls244 @ M9 and bad Earam.

Highscore table now works. Onto the sound problems.

Found bad Pokey, and ls164 @ P8 noise generator

All is good.

Parts
4 2516 Eproms