Assistance with Star Wars w/Clay's ESB Kit --- SW novram clobber?

From: Altan (GAPAS) <pinball_at_aaarfamily.com>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 13:42:44 EST

I'm lucky to have acquired a Star Wars with Clay's ESB kit. I believe the kit is v3.91 (but I should have written it down when I took the boardset out).

I've dug through messages on vectorlist.org, RGVAC as well as KLOV forums but haven't found a solution to what I'm seeing.

When I got the game, I realized the Star Wars part was not storing settings. It would keep defaulting to the DIP switches. The ESB game was storing settings. I replaced a single 2212 on Clay's PCB. I picked the 2212 that the v3.x manual indicates should be swapped from the SW PCB to the Clay kit. I guessed that a swapped 2212 would have more used cycles than the one provided with the kit.

I'm assuming this is the 2212 used for SW novram. Is that right?

The reason I believe the above is because the Star Wars game now stores the settings. That's a good improvement. ESB also continues to store the settings.

I thought everything was perfect until I realized that switching from ESB to Star Wars --- with the game turned off --- causes Star Wars to drop its settings. FWIW, since the games individually store their settings, this tends to indicate no voltage issues going to the 2212 part.

I've heard of some problems people occasionally have with the kit, but this one seems unique. Since I don't have a schematic or theory of operation for the mod, it's difficult to try and debug the issue. For example, if I find out that the 2212 I replaced is actually the ESB novram then things are acting very strange. I wonder if something is messed up where both games are using a single 2212?

I appreciate any assistance that is offered.

... Altan