RE: Sega G-80 PSU - Audio Amp

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 20:59:51 EST

I too 'get' the desire for original power supplies and the like in older
games, but switchers can be pretty handy too. All that energy wasted in
heat in old linear supplies raises the internal temperature of the machine
and the board and components along with it. Along with that goes the old
rule of thumb-- 10C raise in temperature doubles semiconductor failure
rates. (Not to mention mechanical stress from thermal cycling, etc.)

Sega has a bunch of fans in things like the Star Trek cockpit, but man...
That thing sounds like a hovercraft even after replacing the old fans with
newer/quieter ones. I wouldn't mind getting a bunch of heat out of there
and be able to run with fewer/quieter DC fans. (and/or with some PWM fan
speed control based on temperature ;-)

We're really off the beaten path running machines at Ground Kontrol vs. most
private collections, but at ~14+ hours/day 360+ days a year the heat of the
old linears really starts to add up. We've actually been replacing a lot of
linears along with marquee lights and whatever else we can find with lower
power options. Aside from trying to tame a four-digit monthly power bill
(and we're in the land of cheap hydroelectric power!) we need to reduce heat
to avoid having to spend big $$$ on a larger HVAC system for the building!
(There's a lot to be said for having one kind of power supply that might be
used in ~40-50 games too. Much easier to stock spares for when there *is* a
problem-- and the pricing tends to be dirt cheap as a result of buying in
quantity. I use a little ATX power -> arcade adapter in a lot of our
machines. We keep it all connectorized though and leave the originals in
the cabinet so the 'deconversion' is relatively painless if need be...)

-Clay