RE: Williams vector game 68k cpu (1982)

From: Dom Escott <rav_at_retrokade.com>
Date: Sun Mar 27 2011 - 18:50:38 EDT

>FWIW, the schematics have been discussed in early 2010 here :
>http://www.rotheblog.com/2010/01/arcade-history/williams-vector-prototype-schematics-found-illinois-pinball/

At the time this article came out I got hideously excited that Predators and these schems would "mix-and-match" as I had been informed that Predators was a vector based game!

I hate to break the news, as I have not updated my blog URL that Archer has provided in some time, but I indeed possess a set of pcbs, and indeed have footage of the game running that I have not released as yet to the world...

When Rotheblog contacted me about the vector schems, we did 1 or 2 chip comparisons via email (I had no access to decent scans or the pictures attached) but unless pcb revisions had considerabled changed and thus changed chip locations, the schems we're talking about clearly did not tie up with the pcb set I possess....

Now, for some communication breakdown reasons or not, I could never get access to the whole scan/images and thus determine that the schemsdespite having changed chip locations could be seen as circuits in the existing hardware. But with the last 24 hours revelations perhaps theres opportunity to liase, disclose and confirm or deny if the schems tie up with the architecture.

For me it would be massive as each cabinet must have had a williams-style "widget" that handles player input and end user stuff such as video and sound relaying - I do not possess these pcb(s), or anything as the cntral cab hosted each game board, sound board but not widget.. If these schems indeed could be Predators theres a chance I can fulfil my dream (without reverse engineering) of displaying a fully working Predators proto.

I'll be sure to investigating these schems if I can in regards to Predators, but from the little we've looked it seems it's a different game... However... I will tell you - that people who are assisting me are telling me that whilst Predators end display IS NOT vector based, the pcb generates its data like a vector game - which trulyl suggests its original incarnation WAS a vector game, but yet the pcb set I possess rasterises the vector data.

I have videos, screenshots of the game pcbs running, but have been hoping to mesh everythign together, cabs,, artwork, pcbs and the "lost widget" and have it publically revealled at something like California Extreme for the world to appreciate as a finaliased vision rather than show people what the gameplay and graphics look like... Maybe Im wrong, maybe its high time the stuff Im desperate to reveal needs revealling...

Whatever, if I can prove these schems and Predators are related, Im willing to pruchase them and "provide the greens", but they could be for a totally indepedant wms game... Really hard to decide... Opinions welcome!

Regards, Rav