Wicked intermittant Amplifone (Ampliphone) issue

From: pj pj <pj1_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Wed May 11 2011 - 01:39:47 EDT

Hi All,

I have an interesting one that makes you go "OH $%#&".

Having been awhile , I flashed up my starwars and after a few hours of running normally, I glanced at the screen, and found a super bright, swollen, out of focus and light greenish game display, with the game running.

Since the tube had a deflection loss sometime in the past, there already was a small burn spot, but now its' a lot worse (<1/4"). I installed a Cinelabs transformer in the past to replace a dead/red, which I checked almost right after I powered the game off, and found the ferrite core warm.

Cautiously restarting the game with the screen down, I slowly brought the control up with a cross hatch, and it did the same behaviour again, with the brightness up.

I'm wondering if I have a bad rectifier in the transformer, a bad focus/screen resistor block (connections are fine), or a tube with an intermittent H-K short. The 24V regulators are fine and have mil-spec metal power resistors replacing (as in Andre's rebuild) the regulator bypass ones now mounted to the main heatsink and the board was fully rebuilt.